FYI: Original Post created in 2014, updated in 2017.
Applying for your eVisa for Turkey
This page contains a summary of the current online e-Visa process to apply for your entry visa to Turkey.
This page is for informational purpose only based on my first-hand experience of applying for an eVisa, please visit the Republic of Turkey’s Visa website for more information.
Nationals who require a visa to visit Turkey, can only obtain their visa from the website www.evisa.gov.tr prior to their journey to Turkey.
Latest News about Turkish eVisas
Here’s my tracking of some of the news flashes about the eVisa process.
News Update: March 27th 2014: The goal is to swich over to the evisa process completely sometime during the 2014 season, but for now visitors will still be able to buy the old Passport sticker at their port of entry.
If you’re arriving at Bodrum Airport, and DON’T have an eVisa, you’ll need to line up in the Entry Visa line to buy your Visa Sticker. BUT sticker cost has increased – and will cost you £20 Cash (~$33, whereas the eVisa is only $20)
News Update: December 2017 It is still possible to get the visa from a desk near passport control on arrival in Bodrum, but it costs more and it means queuing up twice (once to purchase the visa and once to go through Passport control – plus it costs more, so save yourself the hassle and just buy one online!)
Reasons to use the online eVisa Process
- It’s cheaper than the point of entry visa
- You can use your debit card
- You can apply for a Family Visa (maximum 10 people) or Group Visa (maximum of 100 people) – which should simplify the application process if you’re traveling with others
There are many other website popping up, offering to source your visa and a higher charge – don’t do it! Log onto the official website, and get it at cost.
What is an Turkey e-Visa?
- An e-Visa is an entry visa which allows you to enter Turkey.
- It replaces “sticker”- and “stamp-type” visas formerly issued at the border crossing.
- Each traveler must obtain a separate e-Visa, including infants and kids. (Even though kids/infants may be included in their parent’s passports)
- As of November 2013 you can still use all types of Visa (e-Visa, Stamp and Sticker).
#1 Apply: Turkey e-Visa Application Process
- Apply on-line by entering all the required information (your e-Visa and Passport information needs to match)
- Apply via the www.evisa.gov.tr website (this link will take you to the official Republic of Turkey website.
- Your passport must be valid at least for 6 months by the time you enter Turkey. Depending on your nationality, there might be some additional requirements to be met. You will be informed of these after you select your nationality and travel dates.
- (Detailed steps on how to apply for an e-Visa are shown below)
#2 Make Payment: Turkey e-Visa Payment
- Payment can be made via Mastercard or Visa credit/debit card.
- Visa Fee is $20
- e-Visa fee is only offered in USD .You don’t have to have a USD account. An equivalent amount in your local currency will be deducted from your account.
#3 Download: Receiving your Turkey e-Visa
- After you make payment, the link to download your e-Visa will be e-mailed to you.
- Print it out to show to airport officials and customs officers when you are entering and existing Turkey
- Carry it with you at all times during the travel.
- Inform the Support Desk (via “Contact Form” under “Contact Us” section on main page) in case of any suspended or unsuccessful transaction throughout the whole application procedure.
- Once e-Visa is processed, none of the information on it can be changed. It is your responsibility to secure that information on e-Visa is exactly the same with the information on your passport.
Turkey e-Visa Application Step by Step
1. Complete the Nationality Screen
- Your Nationality (in case your wondering the UK is listed under United Kingdom)
- Select the type of document your using to travel
- Add the security verification you see in the boxes as the bottom
2. Complete the Date of Arrival Screen
- Type the date that you plan to enter Turkey to the related field.
- The validity period of your e-Visa will begin as of the date you entered Turkey.
- Please note that validity period is different than the period of stay. The period of stay cannot be more than 90 days for single entry. If you wish to stay more than 90 days, you must apply to local Police Departments for residence permit.
Additional notes about length of stay:
- If you overstay your visa, you might be asked to pay fines, deported or banned future travel to Turkey for a certain period of time.
- E-visa system does not inform you of the number of days you stay in Turkey. It is your responsibility to make sure that you do not overstay your visa.
3. Complete the Personal Information Screen
After you’ve selected the submit and save button, a pop up screen will ask you to Verify your Information, and this gives you another chance to review all of your entries.
4. Verify your Information
After you have verified your information and clicked “Verify”. You will see the confirmation screen.
5. Confirmation of Completed Application
6. Confirm Your Application
- You will receive a confirmation email, and you need to click the APPROVE button within 1 hour, your application will be cancelled.
6. Pay for and Receive your e-Visa
- When you click on the Approve button you will be returned to the e-Visa website to complete the payment process.
- If your e-Visa application is not completed within 48 hours, it will be deleted from the system. In these cases, you will need to make a new application.
- Once your payment has been processed, you will see a screen confirming “Your Application has been Successfully completed”, with a link to Download your e-Visa (pdf)
- A link to download your e-Visa will also be emailed to you.
- Don’t forget you need to print this out and take it with you when you travel to Turkey.
I hope all of this information and print screens have provided you with a clear overview of the end to end process when applying for an e-Visa for Turkey.
All of the print screens and information were sourced from the Republic of Turkey, Ministry of Foreign Affairs official website.
Click on this Apply Now button to visit the Official Website to Apply for your Turkey e-Visa.
This page is provided for reference purposes using images from the Republic of Turkey’s website. If you have any questions about your e-Visa application, please contact them for help or advice.
Visit my Turkish Visitors eVisa Index Page – which includes more e-Visa information