If the Summer madness of Bodrum town centre is overwhelming, and you need a quick escape to a local beach, (but are looking for an alternative to Gumbet), head for Torba. It’s close enough for a half-day jaunt, and will feed your adventurous spirit.
Off-season, Torba is a sleepy hamlet, but during the summer months, it transforms into a bustling destination. It’s home to the Voyage Torba resort, but there are also some smaller pensiyon hotels along the bay and beach.
- If you’re a culture-vulture, Torba will be an interesting destination for you. It has a long history, going back to the Leleg era, and you can still see the remains of an old Lelegian tomb on a hill overlooking the village, as well as the ruins of an old monastery to the eastern end of the bay.
- Torba is only ~6km away from Bodrum, and takes about 10-20 minutes to reach, depending on whether take the Dolmus, or drive.
- Approximate distances to Torba:
- 30km from Milas-Bodrum Airport
- 26km from Turgutreis
- 21km from Yalikavak
- 6km from Bodrum
- Torba has a regular Dolmus service, which runs every 10 minutes during the summer months, and about every 1/2 hour in Winter. (2012: approximate cost 2.5-3 TL).
Things To Do
- Spend the day sunbathing and chilling on one of the wooden jetties overlooking the bay along Ataturk Caddesi.
- Keep walking north along the western side of the bay, and you’ll pass the Fishing Boat Harbour, where the Fishing Excursion day boat is moored (and here’s a photo gallery of our fishing trip)
- Just past the Fishing Boat Harbour, is the Day Boat Jetty, where a selection of boats offer different tours to visit islands and coves
- Visit the Beach (even though the beach is lined with resorts and their jetties are provided for their guests, you can still wander along the beach, and find a spot of sand to settle on — the beach is public property. But if you use any of the resort’s chairs or loungers, you’ll be expected to purchase refreshments.)
- Hike along the western edge of the bay and follow the easy coastal walk to the neighbouring bay.
- Climb the hill to visit the 2500 year old Lelegian Tomb on a hill overlooking the village
- Venture to the eastern end of the bay for a sneak peak at the ruins of an old church.